University Senior Management wants to hear of student experiences with the new student online enrolment portal. Good feedback, bad feedback, everything in between – please have your say now – it will only take a couple of minutes – https://goo.gl/forms/N28WYWVZLBWtZ6bw1
A number of EXMSS committee members and other office bearers are departing due to the expiry of their terms and/or the completion of their studies. EXMSS from 2018 will have the following vacancies:
- Upper North Island Representative
- Lower North Island Representative
- South Island Representative
This is an excellent opportunity to not only help out your fellow students, but also to enrich your CV with credible experience in governance and advocacy. If you can spare anything from 30 minutes per week (which will be paid as honoraria), and want to help make a difference for your fellow students, please send a brief email to firstname.lastname@example.org, giving your name, student ID, and what role you are interested in running for. In my capacity as Assistant Returning Officer, I will send you a link to a nomination form. Elections will take place at or after the Annual General Meeting on November 15, 2017.
Once the full new Committee is in place, nominations and vote for the office bearer roles of Secretary, Treasurer and Returning Officer will take place.
Distance Study Scholarships
The 2017 round of EXMSS Distance Study Scholarships will start in the next 2 weeks. All distance students are eligible to apply. There is a short application window, so please be alert.
For further information and links regarding each of the above, please watch this site and/or the EXMSS.org website.
EXMSS is going through some changes. One of these is a decision to reduce the day-to-day workload on the President and create an employment opportunity for a distance student to earn an income doing this work themselves, with the guidance and support of the EXMSS President and exec committee.
If you are a well-organised, highly computer-literate person, currently studying distance courses, and able to commit to a minimum of 10 regular hours a week work during semesters, and possibility of negotiable work outside semesters, the EXMSS Committee would like to hear from you. Please email CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject “Employment Application”. In the cover letter, please share basic information such as study situation, town/city of residence, previous experience in roles of customer service, administration, advocacy and IT.
Formal job description and individual employment agreement are under development, and will be sent to shortlisted applicants. There is no closing date for applications, because we will keep advertising until we get someone we feel will fit in and do a great job.
The ideal type of person will be someone who is upbeat, brilliant at personal time management, awesome on the phone and with written communications, empathetic and creative. WordPress skills are a MUST so please don’t apply if you haven’t already had significant experience administrating a WordPress-based website.
- Nominal commitment is 10 hours per week, with option to negotiate up or down according to circumstances and requirements
- Permanent part-time role; you will have the standard statutory entitlements such as:
- Annual leave (after 12 months, or earlier at board discretion)
- Sick leave (after 6 months, or earlier at board discretion)
- Protection against summary dismissal (after 90-day trial period)
- Kiwisaver employer contribution
- Specific hours of work by negotiation, with some fixed hours agreed to
- Considerable flexibility to suit the needs of students with heavy lifestyle demands
- Maintain members register
- Perform basic bookkeeping duties
- Respond to student queries and requests for help
- Make shuttle bookings promptly as requested, and verify payment
- Maintain the EXMSS website (WordPress-based)
- Develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders within the university
- Interact with students via social media, particularly Facebook and Twitter
Prerequisites: To be eligible for this role, you must:
- Be currently enrolled in a Massey University diploma or degree programme, with at least 50% of your courses in distance and/or block mode study
- Be of good character, with referees available, with clean criminal history and credit check
- Be residing in New Zealand, as a citizen or holder of a valid work permit
- Choose one or more work-spaces which:
- Allow you to work without disturbance while on duty
- Have excellent broadband internet access
- Can offer protection for confidential information
- Exceptional oral and written English communication skills
- Great customer service skills
- Ability to “tone” your communications along a spectrum from formal/business to casual/informal as appropriate
- Well developed office administration skills
- IT skills, including:
- Spreadsheets (eg Excel or LibreOffice Calc)
- Word processing (eg Word or LibreOffice Writer)
- CRM (eg Zoho)
- WordPress (this is a MUST HAVE)
- Impressive ability to self-organise, prioritise tasks, and get them done
We at EXMSS hereby announce our upcoming Annual General Meeting, to be held online on Wednesday, November 15, at 8pm. There will be no physical meeting venue, since the meeting will be run online via the Adobe Connect platform.
The web link for the meeting will be published in the days prior to the meeting.
All current EXMSS members are welcome to attend. This includes everybody who has joined or renewed this year, as well as everyone who took a subsidised shuttle with EXMSS and opted to take out membership.
As part of the AGM, there will be elections for several of the committee positions. Our Returning Officer will make an announcement shortly and call for nominations.
Happy New Year to my fellow students in the Massey University distance learning community.
After some years of neglect, the EXMSS website will soon be receiving some major love. Our talented Communications Officer Taryn Dryfhout, an experienced writer and journalist, will lead the website rejuvenation effort. I will step in with technical assistance as/where needed.
Meanwhile, please accept our apologies for any content on the site that is missing, outdated or otherwise inaccurate.
EXMSS Committee Seeks Two New North Island Representatives
Do you want to be involved in helping out your fellow extramural students? How about enriching your CV with extra skills while demonstrating your commitment to service? Want to gain experience in various business management micro-skills? And get paid to do it?
We are currently looking for TWO NEW REPRESENTATIVES – one for the Upper North Island and one for the Lower North Island.
Why not nominate yourself, or someone you think would enjoy and benefit from the experience, for one of the two positions. Please remember that whoever you nominate must be a paid-up member of EXMSS (remember, it’s currently only $1 to join for a year!).
Nomination forms must be submitted before 5pm on Wednesday, 7th December, 2016.
A description of the position and a link to the Nomination Form can be found below
The link to nominate yourself, or another paid-up member of EXMSS is:
Please don’t hesitate to contact a Committee Member if you have any questions about these two new positions – we’re here to help!
EXMSS Returning Officer
Following some tough recent years, EXMSS is now on a solid track to revival, and reinvention, as an effective, supportive and relevant society for extramural students within New Zealand, and around the world.
We are working on a programme of new initiatives to take EXMSS into the Cloud. For non-IT people, what this means is that EXMSS will no longer be based on a physical campus, but be accessible by phone, chat, text and videoconference to students no matter their location.
Also, we are in the process of implementing a ticketing system to ensure that no request for help falls through the cracks.
With these measures underway, EXMSS is becoming an agile, evolving force of student empowerment.
Membership Special – for the next few months, we are offering full membership packages at just $1, instead of the usual $10 for students or $15 for associates.
EXMSS is your society. It is here to support your success. But to be able to best serve you, we need you on our membership books. The more members we have, the stronger our case for maintaining an increasing our funding, and the more support we are able to render to you.
So why not join now? It will take you less than 2 minutes, and you’ll be free to get back to your studying, or at least your Netflix viewing with an open textbook nearby! 😛